Friday, January 4, 2008

Vetrolin Shine by Farnam


I'm going to kick off this blog with one of my favorite grooming products, Farnam's Vetrolin Shine coat spray and conditioner.

***** (5 out of 5 stars)

MSRP: $10.95 (for 32 oz, ready to use spray bottle).

Why I like this product:

I was never a big fan of coat conditioners, primarily because every other coat spray I've come across has alcohol and/or silicone in it. Both alcohol and silicone damage the coat by drying the skin and hair with repeated use, especially in horses not bathed frequently to remove the silicone. Vetrolin Shine has neither, and instead has B-vitamins and sunscreen built in to protect the coat from drying and sun bleaching. Still, like any other coat conditioner Vetrolin Shine will make the hair a bit slick, so it's best not to spray it on the saddle area if you intend to ride bareback.

This product also effectively repels dust and manure stains. After a thorough grooming or bath I simply spray it on my horses then follow up with a finishing brush to work it into the coat. In addition, Vetrolin Shine works well as a mane and tail detangler, without being sticky or slick. And while I know it's relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things, I like the product's almost minty scent.

The bottle warrants a mention as well. Farnam's no-drip spray head is robust - I've only had one sprayer break in the two years I've been using this product, which with all the flimsy sprayers out there is a huge bonus in my book.

I usually find that a once per week application is sufficient to help limit the dust in my horses' coats and keep the hair and skin conditioned and tangle-free.

No comments: